Mary Katherine “Katie” Shoenfelt, is a Baton Rouge native and has been a partner at Carleton Hebert Wittenbrink & Shoenfelt, LLC since 2018. Her family law practice includes the following areas: divorce, child custody and visitation, child support, child relocation, spousal support (alimony), judicial separations, partitioning of community property, revocation of donations, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, restraining orders, injunctive relief, paternity and filiation, tutorship, emancipation of minors, and all other issues related to family law. In addition to family law, Ms. Shoenfelt is experienced in medical malpractice and other personal injury litigation, where she has tried cases before juries and judges, and has appeared before the United States First and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeals. Ms. Shoenfelt is currently accepting new family law and personal injury clients.
Born and raised in Baton Rouge, Ms. Shoenfelt attended school at St. James Episcopal and Our Lady of Mercy before graduating from St. Joseph's Academy with a high school diploma. Displaying a competitive nature in her early years, she grew up playing sports, including volleyball, soccer, tennis, and basketball, and earned several scholarship offers in soccer upon high school graduation. She instead accepted an academic scholarship to Ole Miss in forensic chemistry, then transferred to LSU where she graduated with a B.S. in biological sciences and a minor in communication studies.
Ms. Shoenfelt attended the LSU Law Center in Baton Rouge, where she earned a Juris Doctorate and civil law diploma and was a member of the Intellectual Property Law Society, the Environmental Law Society and the Legal Association of Women. Ms. Shoenfelt was also recognized with the Pretrial Litigation Excellence Honor in 2009. Katie has been selected as a Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in 2019. She is rated "AV-Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating service.
After passing the bar, Ms. Shoenfelt immediately began handling complex medical malpractice and catastrophic injury cases in practice with her father Oscar Shoenfelt, III, a seasoned trial attorney with more than thirty years’ experience. She sat as second chair on two jury trials her first year of practice and successfully appealed a case before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Shoenfelt is licensed to practice before all state and federal courts in Louisiana.She is a member of the Baton Rouge Association of Women Attorneys, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the Louisiana Association for Justice, the Baton Rouge Bar Association. Actively giving back to her community, Ms. Shoenfelt has worked on the Baton Rouge Bar Association Pro Bono Project since 2012 and is a member of the Junior League of Baton Rouge. She is currently accepting new clients.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- Contract Disputes
- Medical Malpractice
- Appellate Litigation
- Products Liability
- Premises Liability
- Wills and Estate Planning
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 2009
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 2009
Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 2009
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- B.S. - 2006
- Honors: Treasure of Environmental Law Society (2006-2009)
- Honors: Member of intellectual Property Law Society(2007-2009)
- Honors: Member of Legal Association of Women(2006-2009)
- Honors: Named as Collegiate All-American Scholar by United States Achievement Academy (2003)
- Honors: National Dean's List (2003 - 2004)
- Honors: National Society of Collegiate Scholar
- Honors: National Scholar Honor Society
- Honors: Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
- Major: Biological Science (Pre medical) with Minor in Communication Studies
- Brecheen vs the news Group, L.P., 11-11-73, 2012, La. App 5 Cir
- Brecheen vs the news Group, L.P., 105 So 3d 1011, 2013-0263, 2013, La.
- Brecheen vs the news Group, L.P., 109 So 3rd 384
Honors and Awards
- Pretrial Litigation Excellence Honor
- Argentina Study Abroad Program (with School), 2000 - Present
- Spain Study Abroad Program (College), 2005 - Present
- Frame Study Abroad Program (Law School), 2007 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Baton Rouge Bar Association, Member
- Louisiana Association of Justice, Member
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member, 2009 to Present
- Baton Rouse Association of Women Attorneys, Member, 2010 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Rowe Law Firm, Associate, 2013 to 2017
- Shoenfelt Law Firm, Associate, 2009 to 2013
- Louisiana State Senate, Senator's Aid
- Baton Rouge Bar Pro Bono Project, 2012 to Present